A Guide Securing a Film Permit in Cape Town

In Cape Town, obtaining a film permit is essential for various filming activities, encompassing a wide range of productions like commercials, feature films, documentaries, and more. However, permits aren’t necessary for personal events like weddings or for immediate news broadcasting.

Essential Conditions for Permit Requirement

A film permit becomes necessary under several circumstances, particularly when your filming activities

  • Disrupt normal traffic flow or pedestrian movement on municipal roads and sidewalks.
  • Involve setting up cables, wires, or equipment such as generators, tripods, or dollies on public pathways or roads.
  • Affect the public’s access to communal spaces like parking areas, beaches, public parks, and nature reserves.
  • Cause significant noise or air pollution.

Registration and Application Process

Before applying for a permit, you must register with the Cape Town Film Permits Office (City Of Cape Town). Here’s how:

  1. Registration with City Of Cape Town
    Download and complete the Registration and Indemnity Form available from the City Of Cape Town. This registration is necessary for both production companies and commercial photographers. Ensure you include a copy of your public liability insurance and your company letterhead. Once filled, submit these documents to the City Of Cape Town via their designated email.
  2. Applying for a Permit
    Use the City’s online Film Permit System. Register as a user, fill in the required details, and submit your application. The City will then process your booking, coordinate approvals, and set the terms for the permit. Once approved, the permit will be sent to the email address you provided.

Annual Renewal and Further Assistance

Keep in mind that your registration with City Of Cape Town needs annual renewal. For any assistance or additional information, you can contact the Cape Town Film Permits Office directly.

FAQs for Filming in Cape Town

  1. When is a Filming Permit Required? A filming permit is needed for using any City-owned location (streets, sidewalks, parks, buildings) for film-related activities. No permit is required for personal filming or for news media filming live events.
  2. How to Apply for a Permit? Register as a user on the City Of Cape Town online Film Location Booking System, whether you’re applying as a registered production company or as an individual (e.g., start-ups).
  3. Why is Insurance Necessary? Regardless of your production size, Public Liability Insurance is mandatory to protect the City against third-party claims related to your filming activities.
  4. Cost of a Filming Permit? The permit itself is free. Charges apply for services like traffic officer deployment, parking, or filming at locations managed by the City’s specific departments.
  5. Filming on Private Property: Is a Permit Needed? No permit is issued for filming exclusively on private property. However, if you’re filming on private property but using City-owned streets or public property, or if your filming involves special effects, stunts, amplified sound, or occurs outside of standard hours in residential areas, you may need a permit.
  6. Neighborhood Notification and Consultation Depending on the shoot’s impact (categorized as Tier 1, 2, or 3 by the City Of Cape Town), varying levels of neighborhood notification or consultation are required. Tier 1 usually requires minimal notification, Tier 2 may require post-approval notification and monitoring, and Tier 3 involves prior consultation.
  7. Special Effects: Separate Permit Needed? No separate permit is needed for special effects or stunts, but details must be included in the permit application. The City Of Cape Town will coordinate approval with relevant departments.
  8. Altering Public Spaces for Filming If your shoot involves modifying public spaces (e.g., covering street signs), detail these changes in your permit application for the necessary approvals.

For any specific queries or clarifications, contacting the City Of Cape Town directly is advisable.

More Mocations